Friday, July 11, 2008

In over my head...




I'm the first counselor in the primary presidency. Normally the second counselor is in charge of the cub scout program but the primary president decided to place me over cub scouts because I have a "vested interest" (i.e. I have 2 sons that are cub scouts). I could handle den leader easily but right now I feel overwhelmed. I went to Roundtable last night and as the woman teaching the class for committee chairs explained training necessities and my responsibility in it all I nearly burst into tears of frustration. It probably wouldn't be as hard but our ward has to take 3 scout callings and combine them into one and that's me. I'm the pack training leader, the committee chair, and the presidency representative. I do like to be busy though so I think I'll suck it up, dive into some internet research and try to get a handle on this baffling culture that is the scouting program.

7 comments:

abi said...

oh chardell, get someone else to help girl! I know you won't though...so I will offer words of encouragement, you can do it! you will be the best dang scout person/trainer/leader you can be!

Jennifer Shorr said...

Oh my, I am no help to you! My boys aren't in scouts yet, so I think I be calling you in a year or two for tons of advice. Goodluck, I know you're gonna love it!

Adrienne Mason said...

I wish I could help, but I didn't pay attention to boy scouts in our primary meetings when I was the secretary. It sounded too scary. Oh great, that will probably be my next calling!! Thanks for your help today. Also, I tagged you on my blog. See you soon.

Heidi P said...

Yikes Chardell!? That is nuts?! Just try your best for a while and if its still overwhelming-- ask for a helper! Good luck!

Stephanie F. said...

Wow, I would be overwhelmed too. But you amaze me always. You do sharing time :)
Love ya!

stephanie said...

Oh thats my biggest fear Boy Scouts. I know nothing about it! And really have no desire to know about it.shhhhhh Just kidding thats bad. Its a great program but probably way stressful!!! GOOD LUCK

Wendy said...

Cub scouts really isn't as bad as you think. Remember that you already have a pack leader and den leaders who will do the vast majority of the work. Once you adjust, you'll realize it's not as time consuming as you thought.

I love love love being a cub scout leader.