Monday, June 9, 2008

Our Robin...



Yesterday I was reading at the table and noticed a robin hopping around grabbing insects (yay Robin!). Then it would hop over to a baby that was on the ground and feed it. I was worried that maybe the baby should go back into a nest but after looking it up on the internet I learned that they leave the nest at this point (fledgling) but still can't quite fly. The parents still feed it on the ground. I told the kids to stay in the front yard and leave the bird alone. Meanwhile I've been leaving grapes and raisins on the patio for the parents. I go out once in a while to make sure he's still okay. He camouflages very well in our grass and half the time I walk right past him. Earlier today I went out to look for him and thought I found him dead. I nearly burst into tears right then when I turned and saw him sitting in a tiny little lump behind me. It turns out I found his sibling. It looks like another bird killed it but not a predatory bird since they didn't eat it. So sad. I hope our little guy makes it. There are foxes, skunks, coyotes, snakes, and lizards everywhere. Not to mention domestic cats. Our backyard is a zoo.

4 comments:

Heidi P said...

Aww cute. I bet your kids love that!

Heidi P said...

I just have to tell you & Abi, that Betsy and I both have you on our 'friend' lists. And neither Steph or Betsy have any of my friends' on theirs, or Steph and I any of Betsy's friends. Just so you know how cool you guys are. ;)
(Abi read this too.)

Betty Grace said...

What? that's a horrible story. I thought he would just be faking dead and the story would end that the robin hopped up and flew over the rainbow and lived happily ever after!

Adrienne Mason said...

Man Chardell! With all your posts I think you missed your calling for a writer for National Geographic or Animal Planet.

Alex